Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wondering Wednesday: I'm up! I swear!

This Wednesday I am wondering....what is the big secret about sleeping?  It's not a shameful act.  We all do it, hopefully everyday.  It isn't even an embarrassing thing to do!
So, why when my phone rang this morning and I realized I overslept a bit and decided to answer my friends call that the following occured:

1.  I mentally prepared myself to give my best 'I've been up since 3AM cleaning the house, doing laundry, saving stray puppies, and you just caught me in the middle of my 99th set of jumping jacks' voice.  I WILL sound alert.  I'm up.

2.  I cleared my throat to really prepare

3.  When I answered I was proud of how awake I sounded

4.  She said:  'OH GOD!  I guess I woke you up!  I'm sorry!' (Damn it!)

5.  My initial response is to say- 'Oh, no!  I'm up!  You didn't wake me!'

For the record I did not follow through with #5 like I usually do.  I admitted that it was raining and I totally had fallen back to sleep--which is really out of character for me..and I was annoyed with myself, but it felt so good!
I told her I was giving my best 'I'm totally awake voice' did I sound awake?  She told me 'umm..no.'
I'm starting to think the fake awake voice is like most people who sing in the shower.  It sounds really good in your head-- you really sound like..say..Celine Dion in the shower, but your spouse, friends, roomate, family, local robbers, neighbors beg to differ.
So again, now I wonder why do we lie about the sleep?  No one will be offended, no one (unless it's your boss and your late for work) will be mad at you for sleeping.
I've even done it in the middle of the night when someone has called--No!  It's 2:30AM, I'm SO AWAKE!  This insomnia is crazy!
Maybe we feel bad about making the other person on the other end feel uncomfortable for waking us up?  But, we've all also been that person--you feel bad, but it isn't going to make you cry or ruin your day!
Can we stop the madness and just say 'Yes, you woke me.  I was sleeping. However, when I saw it was you calling I decided I was done sleeping and I did in fact want to talk to you!'  Wouldn't that make everyone feel good?
OR even if you just said 'Um, I'm sorry I just woke up, or was sleeping.  I answered the phone while I was dreaming and I have no idea what just happened in the last 3 minutes of our conversation..I'm not even positive who I am talking to or what I have told you about my life. (You know we have all been there too)  Can I call you back in a little bit?'
Just wonderin'.

1 comment:

  1. I happen to have a really good "Fake Awake" voice. In fact, I think I pick up the phone with more enthusiasm when I've been woken up. Compensation... funny post friend.

    ReplyDelete