Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I'm sorry..Did you just hear the freezer talking?

So, here I am.  Rounding out week one of my friend Elizabeth's program 'Five weeks to feeling fit and fabulous in the spotlight'.  Yeah.  That's right. 
So, this week we had a 'Breakfast Challenge'.  It was to eat 'whole foods' for breakfast.  Other goals included slowing down when I eat, because somehow I have started eating like it is a speed eating contest. Apparently, I am the only one competing.
I knew these goals were attainable, I always eat a healthy breakfast, and my normal routine only needed a couple of tweaks.  And by the way...I am having a love affair with Flax Seeds in my steal cut oatmeal. I know, I am a wild, wild woman.

However, with every success...there comes a challenge.  Since I started college I have gained and lost the same 30 pounds a few times.  I will NOT gain it again.  Those times were enough.
However, when I have been successful at losing weight it has never been through a 'diet' per say.  Whenever I hear the word 'diet' I become obsessed with food.  All I can think about it the food I should eat, can't eat, shouldn't eat, might eat... 'accidentally ate'...It is vicious.  I always get on track when I just listen to my body.

This program is NOT a diet, and I must say not too far from how I normally eat.  So WHY WHY did I have a couple of moments of self sabotage?  I think it is just the idea of a possible diet situation...Let me paint a picture for you.

Saturday I had a friend's graduation party.  I was instructed to bring dessert.  My friend Jen suggested I make her dessert pizza....yeah.  You heard me.  Pillsbury cresent dough with cinnamon baked, spread on some melted Nutella, top with toasted coconut, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips.  Kinda makes you want to jump off a bridge with excitement right?  Well it should.  It is heaven.
Jen also gave me the tip that the left over coconut is really good on ice cream.
Obviously, I had to try that--and while I was at it why not put on some of those chips that I had left over.  Why not.
Fast forward to Sunday.  I ate really well all day, and at night the freezer started talking to me. It was talkin' some smack about being too full, and the only way to make it happy was to finish the frozen yogurt.  My freezer has always been kind to me, so who am I to not do the one thing it asked me to do?
Oh, I didn't have one, but TWO bowls of that frozen yogurt and you KNOW I topped it off with the coconut and assortment of chips.
Then I got angry.  Why would I do that???  I never eat that much!!!!  Clearly I did it because somewhere even though I'm not on a diet...my body HEARD diet and panicked.  Good GOD.
Monday through today I have dusted myself off.  I have done pretty well, and am feeling fantastic.
I did have one of those single serving mini containers of frozen yogurt that did just speak to me. I added the coconut and chips-for an experiment.  And you know what?  After eating really good food...it tasted like crap.
I might just be on my way to curing my sweet teeth.  The goal is to whittle it down to one tooth.  The good news is I have cleared the freezer of frozen yogurt.  The bad news is I just admitted my freezer speaks to me.

1 comment: