Friday, December 3, 2010

Do you hear what I hear?

I try and do the right thing.  I try to respect other people, their space, their needs, their quirky habits.  I was raised to be quick with a 'please' and 'thank you'.  I hold doors for people and make sure to thank those that do for me.  As you may know someone not thanking me when I hold the door is one of my biggest pet peeves--I am NOT your door-woman!
However, that being said I sometimes unintentionally forget my manners--of course.  You get wrapped up in a moment and you look inconsiderate.  I hate when that happens...but, I am wondering if what happened at the movies on Wednesday night was us...or them.

Two of my best girlfriends and I have a standing movie date anytime a Harry Potter movie or Twilight movie comes out.  Yup, we are those girls...women...don't judge.
Given that two of us (obviously not me) have kids all under the age of 8 our time together as three is hard to coordinate between nap times, bath times, dinner time, family time, school time and an available husband or babysitter.  So, the three of us make it a point to see these movies--usually a matinee at a dumpy cheap theatre half-way between all of us.
Wednesday night was a wild night--7:15 movie.
Now, when we get together there is usually some sort of story to report and we try and get there early enough to chat before and after the movie starts.
My best friend was up with an animated story.  I have known Connie for almost my whole life.  We were baby-sat by the same woman as infants, and were reconnected in the same Kindergarten glass.  25 years of best friendship.  Which means I can say, with minimal apology that when she is excited her voice CARRIES.  I can also say that because...well, even when I am not excited my voice carries.  People have often heard me whisper across a crowded room.  It is for these reasons that my grandfather  once called her rambunctious and countless sleepovers were threatened to be cut short because one or both of us could not keep our giggles and screaming under control.  In 25 years, this still had not changed.
So, the lights were still up, some previews going on--but the LIGHTS UP previews.
We are laughing and talking---the theatre is mostly empty.   A couple of times I thought to tone us down a bit, but thought--no, the lights are STILL UP.  People can talk right?  The three of us never have enough of this time.  I'm keeping my trap shut.
Right after the announcement that comes on that has a baby crying, cell phones ringing, and people talking--you know the one that says 'Please.  Don't add your own Soundtrack', I hear a voice behind me.
'Hey, can you guys keep it down'
Me:  'I'm sorry?'
Dude:  'Tone it down' complete with arm gestures to suggest lowering our level.

Pet peeve 3 and 4.
#3 People who assume I am going to do something rude before I do it.
#4 People who talk during an actual movie--seriously, you want to send me over the edge--talk to me during a movie or during my favorite TV show.
Obviously this guy doesn't know about #4.  I kinda wanted to shout--CALM DOWN!!  We are three 30-something year old women who know how to act at the movies.  These two have KIDS that they have to tip toe around when they are sleeping for crying out loud!
OR,  I could just think that the three of us look so darn good that we don't appear a day over 17 and we may be the kind of teenagers who are going to laugh and giggle throughout the movie.
So, here is an etiquette question--is talking aloud during the LIGHTS ON PREVIEWS?  Really.  I want to know.

1 comment:

  1. dude was rude, not me. If I was rude he would have known it ;-) I love the fact that you know me well enough to not tell me about the arm gestures until after the fact. Because you & I both know the rambunctious would have come out if I'd seen that! lol!

    PS Dave said F'em when i told him we got shhh'ed

    ReplyDelete