Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Being Siobhan's wife.

Since my status as a 'dislocated worker' Siobhan and I often joke that I am her house wife.  She often gets stressed out when she comes home and I have cleaned the house and I just say 'darling, you work all day!  It is my pleasure to clean!'.  OK..I don't say that, but I do like to clean and sometimes I get a little over excited about it.
When she was seriously taken down with a nasty stomach bug last week--and when I say taken down, I mean I'm pretty sure she didn't know her own name for most of the week I tried to be helpful.  You know, picking up soup and gatorade, walking her back to bed and bringing her water and a hot pack when she came out shivering to report that she was cold.  I'm sure she had a fever..however, I acted like she had the bubonic plague and didn't touch her head.  When I called my mom and my nurse friend they both asked if she had a fever....I said 'I guess so..I didn't touch her..'
I also made her feel really comfortable by following her around and basically spraying lysol wherever one of her body parts may have touched.  I'm sure this didn't make her paranoid at all.  I'm also sure this did not make me look like a hypochondriac either.  In my defense I had this bug in the spring.  My head spun around exorcist style...I really didn't want to revisit that moment.
However, one of the perks for Siobhan's co-workers and Siobhan is my baking.
When I am stressed I really love to bake.  I like that things have to be exact.  I like the methodical nature of it.  When I feel like my emotions or life is a little out of control baking makes me feel calm and sane.
Baking also make me fat.  I'm not interested in that side effect.  I also have a sweet tooth so this is dangerous on many levels.
So, I have taken to baking and giving away.  However, everyone it seems is on a diet.  Everyone except the men at the private school where my roommate works.
Last week I embraced my Jewish roots...I use that terms loosely as I am not Jewish at all to my knowledge...but, they have some yummy food!  I found a recipe for chocolate chip Challah bread.
It was so yummy..however, I didn't know that it was going to rise to I Love Lucy proportions, get stuck in my oven because I didn't lower the rack enough and need two hands to handle until I cut it.
I don't know why I can't rotate this...but, this is right before it took over the oven..
  I had enough to snack on at home, some to send home with friends, a chunk the size of a loaf of regular bread to send as the happy house wife of Siobhan's to work, and we still have some in the freezer:
Objects in photo are 40X larger than they appear.
This week they get the oreo truffles I made for a party that people were afraid to try...umm..their loss they are so delicious they make you want to cry.  Your welcome Siobhan's co-workers.  Don't be jealous that she has the best wife ever!

Just wait till you taste these bad boys co-workers!

No comments:

Post a Comment