Thursday, February 4, 2010

Goodbye Old Friend, Use Sunscreen.

Tomorrow is the end of an era.  Since before I could remember I have had a mole on the front of my left shoulder.  I love this mole.  I know, that is weird to say but I do.
I remember when I was about 4 years old and I was obsessed with Madonna.  That same year my mother asked me what I wanted to wear for an Easter dress. I replied 'a black lace dress with black finger-less lace gloves'.  You know, just what all 4 year olds wear Easter Sunday.  I'm sure the pastor would have understood.
Also, around that time I convinced myself somehow that Madonna also had the same mole as me.  This made me more like Madonna.  I realized a few years later that I was 'convincing' myself because if you look at her, she does not have the same mole.  I'm pretty sure she has 0 moles on her left shoulder.
But, because that was always in my head it became sort of my sexy mole.  You, know like Cindy Crawford..only, like Madonna.  My point is, I find it distinguishing-even if no one else notices it.

Every six months I am lucky enough to see my dermatologist because I am 'high risk'.  Something about being mostly Irish and Swedish doesn't make for safe sun bathing.  Every six months he has gazed at my mole and let it stay.  Last month, I guess my mole's time was up.  I was informed it had to go-sooner than  later.  Of course, it has to be when I am going to be wearing a strapless dress at my wedding.  Nah, we didn't have to take it 3 years ago, 2 years ago...1 year ago..and certainly not IN a year.  Nope--I get to have a nice fresh scar jut in time for the big day. Perfect.

However, the really sad part is the parting of the mole.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to recognize myself.  I don't KNOW me without my mole!
So..use sunscreen, and bring on the Mederma and Vitamin E.

No comments:

Post a Comment