Sunday, August 15, 2010

'That's my aunt.'

I'm not cool.  Trust me on this one.  If you know me, you already know this.  If you read this blog, you probably suspect this.  I can name a few incidents at lightening speed from this week ALONE that will back me up on this.  I'm OK with it, I'm human.  None of us are really that cool...well, that's what I tell myself when I really pull something fantastic.
However, there are moments when I get a glimpse of 'kinda awesome.'
Last weekend I was on my way to one of the 800 or so children's birthday parties on my calendar this year.   As you may know I am an only child, but for someone who is an only child there sure are a lot of kids who call me 'Auntie Ali'...and one family who calls me 'Allah', which comes from my friend's daughter trying and not quite getting my name years ago.  It stuck.  In some cultures, I'm God according to Maddy and Bella.  Yeah.
You know how they have those frames or clocks with spots for pictures that you put school pictures of kids in every year and see how they grow?  I could fill more than one of those with pictures of me holding babies in hospitals.  If you put it in a flip book I'm sure you could watch me age right before your eyes..or at least see a whole lot of different hair styles.
Anyways.  I'm on the phone with my friend Paul, probably running late as usual.  I felt a little sassy in my sundress and yellow scarf.  Sunglasses on, wrapping up a call on my cell, gift in hand.  I am walking up their street.  Julia yells 'auntie Ali!! Auntie Ali!!' and jumps in my arms.  I love this greeting.  I give her a hug and she runs off back to her friend Brynn.
Later on my best friend Connie (her mom) comes up to me and says--I have to tell you the cutest thing that happened.  When you were coming up the driveway Julia looked at Brynn, cocked her head at you and said 'that's my aunt'.
She said it in a tone that was all, yeah-  that super awesome person right there.  She's with me.  Jealous?
Connie and I laugh, and I wonder out loud how long I'm going to seem so awesome to Julia.  Connie told me probably until I'm a mom and have kids of my own.  I guess that's when I'll lose my charm.
Then Connie has a revelation-- 'you know, I think she was so excited to introduce you to Brynn because she just recently met her aunt...and she has a REALLY cool aunt.  She's in Cirque Du Soleil'.

Seriously?  That aunt is swinging from the ceiling on silk ropes or walking on her hands backwards with her legs in a pretzel behind her head.  I sell air and teach dance.  I don't even have BLOOD relation.  I'm screwed.  And, I'm brought right back down to earth.  Just don't tell Julia...she doesn't know yet.

2 comments:

  1. You may not be blood... but you do have " the other 1/2 of the brain as I remember ! Ha haaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking from experiance, DNA doesn't really mean much when it comes to family. The "family" that means the most are the one's that love you the most!!!

    ReplyDelete