Thursday, August 5, 2010

I'm about to ruin a song for you. You're welcome.

What's one thing I love more than music?  When people screw up the lyrics to a song.  I love when I hear someone singing along and something totally different comes out of their mouth.


Some of my favorites:


When I was about 3 or 4 Hall and Oat's song 'Man Eater' was huge.  I loved this song.  However, I actually thought the words were 'Dance Meter'.  I had this total mental image in my head of a parking meter in a club and people having to pay to dance. Now, at that age I had never been in a club, so I don't know how I had that image, but I can still imagine it.  My parents loved this one.  
I also thought Madonna's 'Like a Virgin' was 'Like a Version'.  A version of what you ask?  No idea, but again my parents loved to make me sing this for company.  Charming.  


My friend Debbie thought during the song 'How Will I know?' by Whitney Houston that instead of saying 'I'm asking you 'cause you know about these things' that it was actually 'I'm asking you 'cause you know about Beastley'.  
I capitalize 'Beastley' because Debbie thought perhaps that 'Beastley' was the nickname of Whitney's boyfriend..and her friend she was asking knew all about 'Beastley'.  Apparently Debbie knew what was up with Bobby Brown before her time.  She (Whitney) should have run.


My friends Stephanie and Johanna also thought that Alanis Morrisette's song 'You Oughta know'  talked about 'the cross-eyed bear' as in a cross-eyed teddy bear.  Not 'The cross I bear that you gave to me, you, you, you oughta know'.  You know it really wouldn't have been fair to remind Alanis of the cross eyed bear.  She must have loved that thing.


Here is the part where I ruin a newer song for you.  Now, I KNOW what the real words are, but for some sick, sick reason I cannot stop thinking that my lyrics somehow fit better. 
Michael Buble.  'Just Haven't Met You Yet'.  
The words are:  'And I know that we could be so amazing, and being in your life is gonna change me'
I can't help but hear:  'And I know that we could be so amazing, and peeing in your eye is gonna change me'.
I  know, you think I am sick and crazy right now but,  next time that song comes on (don't worry, it WILL come on)  you will not be able to stop singing those words.  Just try it once.  If you can't get it-give me a call I'll sing it out for you.  I've already ruined this song for numerous people.  And if your into peeing is someone's eye, well these lyrics might just be exciting for you.
Your welcome.

8 comments:

  1. jeff is loving you right now. his favorite thing to do is ruin songs for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I immediately had to uTube Buble (and I just today learned that's how you spell his name), and I hear 'peeing in your life'. Either way, that would probably change him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either way...if someone pees in my eye...it's going to change a lot of things. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!! Great post Al! When I was a kid I thought the song by The Fine Young Cannibals, "She Drives Me Crazy" went like this:
    "She drives me crazy...ooh oooh....like long white hair". I actually argued when someone told me it was "like no one else.". I thought maybe they found long white hair sexy or something. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I remember correctly... you were telling me the story of how silly your ex was for mixing up the lyrics of Gaga's "Poker face". (I can't remember what his version was) but you so proudly said the words were: "tell me lies, tell me lies, oh you can tell me lies, poker face." I believe I full blown laughed in your face and told you the lyrics were in fact, "can't read my, can't read my, no you can't read my poker face...". I saw the light bulb go off in your head. It was brilliant.
    PS: great post by the way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually Jo--my ex thought it was 'tell me lies, tell me lies'...I corrected him and told him it was 'can't read minds, can't read minds'...and THEN you set me straight-- ha ha. And yes, you DID laugh in my face! :-) But, you have the 'cross eyed bear'..I think I still win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahah. I remembered the "can't read minds" line today aftre I finally got some sleep. And well, I am willing to face the music. Let the crossed-eyed bear be the cross I bare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still totally think Alanis is singing about her cross-eyed teddy bear. Thanks for setting me straight!

    ReplyDelete