Monday, July 12, 2010

And then there were two.

So, now that we're all aired out here in definitely decaf land...let's talk about what it looks like now.  As you get older I think it is natural that there are less and less people that you are really compatible to be a roommate with.  It's just a natural order.  I certainly wasn't into finding a random stranger on Craigslist to be my cohabitant, so alone it was.  It would be good for me--I'm an only child, and I do cherish time to myself.
I moved into a two bedroom apartment that was once occupied by my good friend's whose couch I called 'bed' for 2 months.  They bought a house down the street, and I just slid right on into their old place.  Seamless.
What I didn't expect was an e-mail the week before I moved in from a friend of mine asking if I was looking for a roommate.
Let me introduce to you Siobhan (who is going to read this at work tomorrow and be SO EXCITED she made the blog).  I have a feeling she will be in here a lot--if I'm aloud to.  I have clearance from her for this one.
Let's just say it's the irony of my life that the last time Siobhan and I sat down,  we were in the home she shared with her husband.  She was my wedding planner-she was starting her own business and was doing the job as a friend.  She was married and we were planning my wedding.   My.  What a difference a 6 months can make.  I know what you are thinking.  That apartment sounds like one big ole' hot mess.  How can I get in and hang out with those girls?  I know-we sound like a barrel of laughs! Try not to be jealous.
Siobhan is actually a friend of my friend Jen.  For all intents and purposes she is a 'friend of a friend'.  However, I never had an ounce of hesitation for her to move in.  It's funny that in life some people are just...easy to be with.  I never even thought about it when she asked me--it was a no brainer.  I knew we were a match.  Now, I know that I have weird things that we all have--like the toilet paper goes over the top or whatever.  And, I'm sure she won't find my hair in the drain adorable like someone who loves me does..OK bad example...no one finds that adorable.  But, insert whatever annoying habit about me you can imagine and I'm sure she won't really love it.  But, as roommates we fit.
Not to mention I forgot how nice it is to live with another woman who has fabulous clothes.  Siobhan is sassy--do not kid yourselves.  She is bringing the sass.
However...I do worry for us.  I was a little concerned about our lack of skills as we lugged in a ridiculous air conditioner that someone gave us that now sits in the middle of our living room.  I was even more concerned for both of us when ten minutes ago I got up to grab some water for bed and found that we almost went to bed with our back door wide open.  Yikes.
But, on a positive note--I found Siobhan likes to clean when she's mad (not at me for the record).  I also like to clean when I am mad.  Maybe we'll just spend a lot of time pissing each other off--and then we'll open a cleaning business?  This could be a very lucrative partnership indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment