Monday, May 10, 2010

I run to eat.

Today I had the WORST.  RUN.  EVER.  I should probably tell you that I have never really been a 'runner', I don't enjoy running the way 'runners' do, but I kinda got into over the last several months.  I have no goal of running a marathon--I am totally impressed with people who can, but I am happy to say I ran a 5K, in a respectable time, but that my friends is enough for me.
I avoided running after playing field hockey in High School one season and at the end of 'double sessions' we all had to compete in a run named after the principal.  The 'Rosa Run'.  Every day in double sessions in addition to sprinting and regular practice we did a mile and a half run in the morning and another mile and a half at night.  I was a dancer.  Not a runner.  I could NEVER finish a run without walking.
The 'Rosa Run' was I think about 4 miles.  I was in shape, I had always been active just not 'running shape', so said run made me want to throw up...before I even started it.  I came in second to last only before the girl who had severe asthma.  I'm not kidding.
However, even though I do small runs--only up to 3 miles I have gotten a lot better at it.  I'm faster, I have better form and it makes me feel less stressed.  But, to tell you the truth- I run to eat.  I am not someone who can eat anything I want and not pay for it.  So, I run to feel good...but mostly to eat.

Yesterday I went to the gym, and grabbed a pair of yoga pants to run in.  I should have worn them for what they are made for-yoga.  The entire time I was on the treadmill I was hiking them up as they fell down--really cute.
Well, I don't learn lessons very well.  Because, I grabbed the same pair today ( I thought they would be tighter after a trip through the dryer) and headed out the door.  Today I was running outside.  Let me paint the picture.
When I run outside I insist on bringing my phone.  For the last year and a half I had been living in Brockton...you never know when you'll need a phone.  I have taken this practice to Belmont.  You never know what could happen, and I am sure that my attacker would give me plenty of time to get my sweaty phone out of my sports bra.  What?  I don't have anywhere else to put it!  The side of my sports bra under my arm is a perfect, flat little spot.  It's gross.  I know.
I have my i-pod in.  Ready.
The entire 1st mile down the street was spent with me hiking up my pants.  First one side, switch holding my i-pod to the other hand, pull up the other side of my pants.  Now my ear buds are falling out.  And my pants are falling down.  My shirt must have felt jealous because my tank top (thankfully under a jacket) decided to start riding up.  Hike up, pull down, stick the bud in the ear.  Repeat.  For one mile.
At the end of the first mile my phone was sliding out the bottom of my bra and I knew this wasn't cute.  Just awkward.  After all the extra exertion from the pulling and hiking I was winded...and had to walk most of the way back.  Worst. Run. Ever.
Last week I thought I was kinda amazing because I out ran a thunderstorm.  I could hear and see it coming but, I ran and felt amazing--at the end, I felt like I cheated death...well, not really but, I was pretty happy to have made it back before the downpour.  Maybe it was because I had on running pants.  Not yoga pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment