Monday, November 15, 2010

Things that sound bad..that aren't.

Call it a lack of maturity, or too much awareness about things around me--but, I love when people hear things and their mind goes in the gutter.  You catch your friends eye wherever you are--because maybe you are at a wedding and it is totally not appropriate to laugh.  I am always the one to laugh and almost have to leave a church.  All the time.  I am the worlds most inappropriate laugh-er.  I was actually kicked out of a class in college with one of my best friends because we could not pull it together.
I am thankful for laughter.
Friday night I am home getting some stuff done and end up on a phone marathon with my friend Scott.  He has just gotten into a really great story when I decide that I am going to make a smoothie.  I pull out my trusty 'Magic Bullet' some frozen fruit, almond milk, honey, and flax seeds and start going to town.  I can hear him find so I start to blend.

Scott stops talking.  'Um..what's happening. What is that??'
Me:  'Oh, I can still hear you keep going, it's my magic bullet'.
Silence.  Like, something is not right kinda silence.
Then I realized my friend Scott has taken a mental mind trip to the gutter which, with him being a gay man was not a fun place for him to go.  He hear magic bullet and he automatically thinks I am talking about a certain adult novelty that would be something some women perhaps may be familiar with.
You can see how this gets awkward for him.
I see where he is going and I start laughing because my Magic Bullet Blender is making all kinds of crazy noises and it is certainly a noise I would not hope to find with any other kind of bullet you may be thinking of.  That would just be scary!

'Scott!  The BLENDER!  Not a vibrator!!!!'
He is relieved.  Then we had to laugh about the scenario it was not and 'what if' that is really what I decided to do while on the phone with my gay friend.  'Oh, keep talking, I can still hear you--it's fine! Don't mind me!'

In yoga yesterday morning my mind was in the gutter.  I thought about all the inappropriate things you hear that no one laughs at.
For example:
Downward Dog
Take a wider stance in your dog
Take this time to get really deep in your dog
and my personal favorite yesterday-
When you are ready flip your dog

I'm sorry.  It's funny!

Also, I am thankful for the woman after class who came up to me and said 'I have to tell  you, you really distracted me all class!'
Me:  'what?? Why?? I'm sorry!'
Her:  'your hair is so cute!  I was suppose to be going into crow (insert laughter) and all I could think about and look at is your hair cut!'

Lady..that made my day.  I am thankful for friendly strangers--especially ones with compliments on a Sunday morning when I rolled out with bed-head.
If you have ever seen me in the morning you know I have really 'special hair' at that time.  Short hair is fantastic when you are getting ready--5 minutes flat and I am done.  In the morning everyone needs to be prepared for the horror...that is the moment I want my long hair back!

1 comment: