Thursday, January 27, 2011

Me and Julio down by the school yard...well..just me..and there was no yard.

Going back to school after being out of school for 8 years is exactly like going back to grade school.  Well, without my colored braces, awkwardly huge glasses, underdeveloped body, and poor fashion sense.  I'm sure someone out there has a picture of me in my horrific glory that was grades 6-8...maybe give or take a few years..
I digress.
First day of grad school.  So, there is really no parking at my campus.  It is in the city and the parking permits are ridiculously expensive and mostly exclusive to undergrad-campus dwelling students and faculty.  Night students have a couple of options:
1.  Public Transportation
2.  Paid parking lot
3.  Metered parking that stops needing to be fed at 6pm

On Tuesday, my first night of class, I looked for a metered spot.  Class starts at 4 and I am in classes until 9:15.  I would have to sneak out and feed the meter one quarter at some point.  However, my nerves got the best of me and I felt I was running out of time.  I investigated the parking lot.  Doing the math in my head I realized it was going to cost $15 to park.  WHAT??  No freakin way.
However, someone pulled in next to me, time was running out and I read in parenthesis that I could validate my ticket by showing a receipt from a store in the building.  They had a space for how much money you were required to spend.  It looked like this:  (  ).  I took this to mean, you could buy anything--a pack of gum perhaps and only pay $8.  This of course was also too much, but I didn't really have a choice.
If you are wondering why I didn't take public transportation at this point let me tell you that it would cost me $7 to park at the T station and $3 round trip.  This would also tack on at least an extra hour to my day.
After dodging snow banks and angry students and almost hitting several pedestrians as they leapt out at me from behind said snow banks I found a spot and made my way inside.
I had a pack of gum, so the first thing I saw in the book store was Mentos.  Good choice.
I will bring my receipt for $1.00 to the desk and validate that ticket!
Funny thing.  The minimum requirement for your receipt at the security desk is $50.  Huh.  That's a little different.  Now I'm stuck with a $16 pack of 'the fresh maker'.
However, these came in handy when I realized at about 7pm that in my anxiousness to get to class I didn't even think about packing dinner or a snack.  You'd be surprised at how satisfying the entire pack can be when you are starving!
The rest of the week went something like this in my head:
*This is amazing, I am so excited to learn
* It is kinda awesome to be in class when you actually care
* These teachers are so great!
* Wow I feel old.
* Wow I feel young.
* I hope I didn't get a ticket
* Wow I feel stupid
* Pull it together your fine
* I'm never going to see my friends and family again...well, at least until next year
* How the heck am I going to fit in all of that class observation time
* Was this a good idea?
*  Shit, I have to go feed the meter
* Is that girl seriously on facebook in class?
* Is that girl seriously online shopping in CLASS???.... cute shirt...what's that website..?
* Am I smart enough to teach children?
*  Shit..I have to feed the meter
*  Are they going to explain that assignment?
*  What class am I in?
*  Shit..I'm next...'Hi, my name is Alison... (shit..what's my major???)'
*  How do I write a bibiliography?  I can't even spell it!
*  THANK GOD I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO AGAIN!!
*  What time is it...I have to feed the meter...good thing I wore my boots seeing as I have to climb a snow bank over my head to get to it!
*

No comments:

Post a Comment