Sunday, January 9, 2011

I feel like a girl of 15!

I've been talking for weeks now about wanting to pierce my nose. Truth be told, for years I've wanted to pierce my nose.  No particular reason, I just kinda really like it..and I always think when I see people with a small tasteful one that I would like to do that.
For my 30th birthday I was suppose to get a tattoo.  I bailed out of that.  I have never been able to think of anything I would permanently want on my body that I wouldn't regret. I also couldn't decide where to put it.  I will be 31 exactly 2 months from today.  Still no tattoo.
I realized today that I seem to do important things on the 9th of every month.
I was born on March 9th.  I quit smoking on November 9th.  I pierced my nose on January 9th.
The very uncharacteristic thing about today's nose 'blinging' is that I went totally alone.  I was planning on dragging MFC along with me but, we really haven't made it happen, so today before I drove home I asked my roommate if she was around to come--she was not...hmm.
I thought to myself 'Self, you know what?  Just put on your big girl panties and do it alone. Suck it up.'
I knew no one could come in with me anyways...just go do it.  And, I did.  I felt kinda brave.  I mean as brave as I get really when I'm in the eclectic city I live near with a seriously tattooed up dude holding a needle to my nose.
Of course when I walked in I demanded to know about the sterilization methods they employed and he was a champ and walked me through it all.
I knew I could be in trouble when I started to sweat and started rolling up my sleeves.  It was not unlike the feeling I get when taking off in a plane that makes me start peeling off my clothes at an alarming rate to my friends and fellow passengers.  It's called anxiety.
Within 30 seconds it was over and I must say my left nostril feels very fancy.
I called my mother to tell her she said simply:  'Why?' (in that vaguely heart-broken mother voice that says I created you in my womb and I'm pretty sure I made you a lovely face and now you have screwed it up by putting a piercing in it WHY?? WHYY???)
My father called and I told him and he said: 'Hmm...Hmmmm...huh..well.  Huh.  Call your cousin' (the one who is 18 and has a bunch of piercings because she will be happy for you and I am not that happy for you because number one I'm afraid you look like a freak, number two your 30 and I thought we were past this and number three I could barely handle when you lost your baby teeth never mind putting something in your nose on purpose) 'Enjoy your piercing'.
I kinda feel like a rebellious teenager...maybe I should sneak some wine out of my own house and have a party in the woods to celebrate?

2 comments:

  1. ...but dad I *didn't* get a tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you learned nothing child? You must " prime the parents!"
    Mom
    PS... 36 hours of mind bending labor, and and emergency C section . LOL
    Yep, its that cute , give me a C section head!

    ReplyDelete