Monday, January 17, 2011

Mom..what are you doing in the woods?

I'm not going to lie, going to get my nose pierced alone made me feel a little brave...a little bad ass.  You know, in an I'm almost 31 and this is about as bad ass as I'm gonna get kinda way.  Maybe in my own head it made me a little cocky.  Yeah. I'm so tough.  When I was a little kid I wanted to go on every ride.  The faster, the higher, the scarier the better.  Fearless.
Apparently, nothing brings you (and by 'you' I mean 'me') back down to the reality of your own truth like a sled and a snow mobile.
As I wrote in my last post, I went sledding.  Did I mention I wouldn't go from the top?  I may have...Oh..I didn't?  Yeah.  I was too scared to go from the top.  I picked what I thought was a 'safer' place on the hill about 5 feet from the top. That extra 5 feet really could have done me in you know.
Then, Saturday night there was the snow mobile incident.
We were at MFC's sister's (gorgeous) house to watch some football and hang out.  The prospect of a little ride around on their snow mobile was tossed around.  I was totally up for it.  Totally excited.  I had never been on one before!
I'm not nervous at all as his sister suits me up in some snow pants and a warmer jacket than I had brought.  Looking totally ridiculous--yet warm we head outside.
I *might* have had a twinge of anxiety as I saw her husband peel out and tear around the path that went around the house.  However...I'm totally bad ass.  This is fine.
Fast forward to me on the back and MFC driving.  The engine revs and we go about two feet before I scream in his ear bloody murder.  I am now certain death is near.
He laughs at me and picks up a little speed.  As we take the first corner I do the only natural thing when you feel panic.  I try and take control of the situation.  By 'take control' I mean letting go of MFC, reaching around and GRABBING THE HANDLES.  Because, someone on the back who has never been on a snow mobile never mind driving it taking the handles is certainly safer.
The rest of the ride sounded something likes this:

Me:  'JASON!!!'  (MFC's actual full name...that I never really use..I call him Jay...unless I am with my family where that has been banned as my father's name is Jay and people get confused and nervous, or I have taken to callinng him by his last name. However his full name is the name that naturally came out of my mouth when I saw certain doom.)

Me (again): 'JAAASSSOOONN!!!!!!!!' (imagine the most annoying screaming voice your own mother can make when you have just sent her over the edge.  That was my voice.  I think I turned around to check that my mother was not in fact standing in the woods..because that voice couldn't be coming out of my mouth...that sounds exactly like...OH  MY GOD...I JUST TURNED INTO MY MOTHER!! --You're welcome mom!)

Me..(still):  STOP TRYING TO SCARE ME!! JAAASSSOONNN!!!!!!  AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

MFC (stopping the vehicle):  Umm...I have to give it some gas for it to go...you are screaming everytime I give it ANY gas...

Me:  JUST LOOK AT THE PATH!!! Stop looking at me!!

For some reason he thought I wasn't having fun...hmm..that's weird.  However, it was a blast and the tear tracks that were frozen down my face were more from laughing at my ridiculousness than from you know actual sadness.
We went around a few times, and was never more relieved than when the kids tied sleds to the back..you know..cause you have to be careful with kids.
The difference between the two of us was never more apparent than after I drove just slightly slower than I drive on the highway (about 30 miles an hour...OK 20...my friends don't call me grandma for no reason!)  barely making it through the snow because I wasn't going fast enough.
Then he took off alone and you see the boy with a toy come out as he flew around the house with pure abandon.
On my next trip around his sister encouraged me to 'let go!  be one with the snow mobile!  loose control!!'......
My entire body god stiff..'lose control'???  Who does that???  What does that mean?? People DO that??
So much for my inner bad ass...sigh..
Next time I may not lose control..but, I may just try to not scream in his ear..or at least lower my volume.

1 comment:

  1. This is your mother...( motha?)... if you think you are going to mock my scream, be prepared! I nearly lost it laughing. Where are the depends now... so, this girl is your future!

    ReplyDelete