Thursday, January 13, 2011

I sled like a dude.

I was told by two men this week that I was like a man.  Once by a good friend.  Once by my boyfriend.  I'm not sure how I feel about this, because in this case--they were right.
It all started the other night when MFC was coming over to get snowed in.  I have been hell bent on going sledding--one problem, no sled.  Certainly this would be easy to find.  On Tuesday I was at Target picking some things up. I  wandered for about an hour looking for sleds.  I didn't see any.  I was one of the first people there that day--it was not busy.  I made eye contact with several associates, and smiled.  I did not ask if they had any sleds.
I left.
Later in the afternoon as I called around to multiple places I was informed there were no sleds.  I chatted with my friend Matt, who asked me about Target.  I told him I didn't see any...'Did you ask?'.
'Umm..no..'
He then told me I was like a guy who would rather drive around lost for 3 hours than ask for directions.  I couldn't argue.  He had a point.
I called Target.  They had sleds (of course).
When MFC arrived I told him we had to go on a field trip.  Off we went to Target.  As we made our way through my small town past all the local shops there was one store with all different kinds of sleds in the window.  I pointed it out.  Did we stop?  Nope.  We pressed on to Target--where we found one kind of sled that was really more like a boogie board.  Over-priced and not what we wanted.
As we wandered around looking---MFC also pointed out that I was like a man..because I didn't want to ask.
So, we asked.  Nope, no other sleds.  We left to go back to the store on the main road in my town.  Yeah.  They were closed.
We drove to the center of town.  On our way we past a sporting goods store with sleds in the window.  Closed.
We got to the center of town and at the toy store there they were.  Taunting us from the closed storefront.  Sleds just calling my name.
Seriously?? It is 7:30. Everywhere is closed.
Fast forward to yesterday morning.  After shoveling I insisted on driving my little Nissan Sentra around the slippery streets to take in the scenery, find coffee, and..a sled.
The store I initially passed did NOT let us down this time!  Sled success!
Like any man who finds his destination...EVENTUALLY...I found our sled, thank you very much!
Then to find a hill.  We drove until we saw kids with sleds and trying not to be weird adults we pulled over and asked where we could sled.  The 13 year olds gave us directions to a great hill and off we went.
I just want to say...we had a blast-the only childless adults at the place, and the only adults going down the hill.  One 2/3 year old remarked 'WOW!  They havin' fun muma!'...but, it sure is different when you sled in your 30's.  You are very aware of everything that could go wrong--and the fearlessness in the kids faces around us as they build huge bumps to fly off of was priceless..I don't have that fearlessness unfortunately.  Yeah.  I didn't even go all the way from the top!  This fact reminded everyone that I am-in fact, a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment