Thursday, April 8, 2010

That one time when I was a black woman..

I don't know why I have to talk so much about this car singing.  But, I think it is important to really paint a picture of what happens when I am singing in the car.
Getting caught singing 'buh buh buh Bennie and the Jettssss' for me personally, isn't on par with say..picking your nose in the car.  Which, spending so much time in my car for work, I must say is reaching pandemic proportions.
What is it about sitting in your car that lets all your inhibitions go?  It's a box of rolling glass, but we all feel like no one can see us, or that we are invincible.
Of course if I have ever been a passenger in your car you know that I am hyper aware of my own mortality.  As in back seat driver.  Shutting my eyes and telling you to look out.  This is why it is usually best that I drive.  If you have driven with me you know that I obey the speed limit so much, that my little car no longer actually goes more than 10 mile over the speed limit.  She knows how I feel.
Someone asked me today what I was serenading my fellow commuters with this morning and although some of my choices in music are 'poor choices' by some.  I'll admit Britney comes out when the mood strikes, Janet, Madonna, Gaga.  They are all in there.  This morning a song that a good friend introduced me to by the O'Jay's called 'Back Stabbers' was on repeat a couple of times.  If you have never heard this song...I'm sorry it is a must.  It is old school, motown fabulocity.
However, most of the time in my car I am a big black woman.  I said it. In reality, I am a tall slim-ish white girl.  I mean, if you don't know me I am WHITE.  As white as they come.  Irish/Swedish, alabaster, see through, casper your friendly ghost white.
However, my mom told me that I am 'black Irish', and in my car I am a proud black woman..I'm going to run with that.
A lot of the time I am not just Alicia Keys but, I am Patty Labelle, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Etta James.  And I am in FULL CONCERT. By this I don't just mean loud singing, I am in full performance mode.  Maybe I am missing my performance roots.  I miss performing in shows, I miss fronting a band. My car is now my stage.  The highways of Mass are my audience.  In the safety of my car I can try and hit those notes that would NEVER come out at karaoke my friends.  I am invincible.  And the crowd loves me.  Usually a standing O.  I have multiple performances throughout the day- 7am, 6pm and usually a matinee or two.  Get your tickets in advance.  I sell out.

2 comments:

  1. Can you do robeta or chaka or mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...I can do anything in my car whoever 'you' are...LOL

    ReplyDelete