Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sing for your supper, cry for your cake

Friday night my friend Kris and I went out for a quick bite.  We had a lot to catch up on and we were playing the 'you eat I'll talk then we'll switch game'.  I had a salad and Kris's food was hot so, I was up first.  Our waitress was super nice and almost overly attentive.  If you know me you know I HATE to be interrupted when I am telling a story-as was the case-and our waitress was not helping.  This is not her fault.  She doesn't know how long winded I am.  I politely told her not to worry about us we were chatting/eating/chatting and not to stress.  I know this is so annoying to waitstaff on a Friday night because they want to turn tables so I knew why she was so persistent.

Anyways, one thing lead to another and I end up crying my eyes out about something or another.  Now, don't get all worried 'Al, why were you crying'--if you know me in real life you know that I can potentially cry about ANYTHING.  A wedding, a baby, a song, a nice gesture, movies.....a particular Folger's commercial that only comes on during the holidays... You may have seen pictures of my particularly ugly crying--or you may have witnessed it.  Actually friends of mine (whom I happened to marry as a 'Justice of the Peace' for a day) just got their wedding video back...the bride and I are the same kind of criers...this is apparently an embarrassing combination from that wedding day.

Anyways, the waitress must have noticed and panicked.  The next thing we know after she took our food she comes back with a piece of CAKE.  She looks at me like ' you poor sorry soul, have some cake'.  You have to laugh when you make yourself look like such a mess that your waitress feels like she needs to bring you cake.  I bring the sexy in a night out people.
So, the lesson for today--if it's not your birthday, but you really have a hankerin' for that free slice of chocolate cake in a restaurant.  Turn on the waterworks.  And don't forget to tip your waitress!

No comments:

Post a Comment