Wednesday, March 9, 2011

They say it's your birthday!

Last year I tried to write about all the things that shaped me to 30.  I think I wrote one story.  Then 30 happened and I changed my life in every way imaginable!
Truth be told, I was not excited to turn 30 last year.  I was having my first birthday melt down. This is not what 30 looked like when I was a kid...On the upside it looks a whole lot younger than when I was 5, 10, 15....20.  But, I wasn't where I thought I should be.
Everyone said 31 is worse because it isn't the novelty of turning 30, you are actually IN your 30's.  I'm just gonna say I dig it.  My life doesn't look like what I thought, but I'm thinking this is way more fun.  I feel like I am finding myself and challenging myself more and more everyday!
I love my birthday--I don't love it for gifts and stuff--however, I LOVE cards.  Love them.  I love the feeling that today is my own personal holiday that doesn't involve the stress of other holidays.  I liked the surprise this morning when the guy at the gym said 'Happy Birthday!' because when I flashed my card it must have popped up on his computer.  I love that my roomie left me a little birthday note this morning...I love that two of my crazy friends called me at in the 7:00 hour to be the first to wish me happy birthday.  Call me an attention whore.  I've been called worse I'm sure, behind my back of course! But, as my dad says--'it beats the alternative.'
Another nice touch.  The Facebook birthday--there is nothing like people you haven't seen in 15 years wishing you a happy birthday--some people I'm sure we wouldn't recognize each other if we walked into each other on the street.  (I'm always looking at my phone or at the ground...no.. i'm not, but it would explain why I walk into people.)  It's like a little online birthday party goin' on for you ALL darn day!
The one exception my friend Jen pointed out is if your birthday falls on a Sunday....then you will have a VERY disappointing facebook birthday..because people aren't avoiding their work meeting, errands, report or other important tasks to write on your 'wall'.  We all know that is really why anyone cares to wish you a happy birthday on good ole' FB!
Anyways.  Today has so far been spent on some things I enjoy most in life: Coffee from Starbucks, a run at the gym, a lazy trip to Target.  Oh, I am a simple person.  Some homework has to find it's way into my afternoon...but, then MFC is coming to make me dinner...I think.  He has changed his mind 85 times in the last 72 hours.  Perhaps he is sensing I like a little surprise in my life.  However, all he really needs to know is that this year his presence is the best present.  Add to that my amazing friends and family and I have more blessings to count..mostly because I suck at math.
I stopped to take my 3rd phone call from my friend Matt.  He distracted me long enough to clean my toilet, take out the trash, and sort recycling.  Not acceptable birthday activities...Thanks Matt.
Anyways, in the next year the goals are as follows:
1.  Laugh, love and dance.  A lot.  Maybe more than necessary, but, not necessarily in that order.
2.  Try new foods.  Who knew I like brussel sprouts now?  Not me!
3.  Show up.  To life.
4.  Do some things that scare me.  Considering driving through the tunnels on 93 scare me, this is not going to be hard.
5.  Stop apologizing for unnecessary things, but still be quick to  apologize when necessary.
6.  Wear more color.
7.  Be kind to myself.  I'm probably the only one who notices that extra 5-10 lbs.
8.  At this time next year be about 8 weeks away from having my Master's degree and my teachers license.  If for any reason this has to be postponed, I will not beat myself up.  However, let's shoot for the first option.
9. Breathe.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! Wishing you all the best! - Suzi

    ReplyDelete