Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring sprang...and other surprising moments.

Mondays are a long day for me.  I get up somewhere in the six o'clock hour and observe a first grade class for the day.  I then find an internet connection for a couple of hours and do some homework before I go teach dance from 6-9.  I then have a 45 minute drive home.
This morning I declined MFC's offer of coffee.   I have some other illness from somewhere that has made me lose my voice and given me a super hot cough.  Honestly, this has been the sickest winter ever.  By 'sickest' I do not mean most awesome.
I realized on my way to the elementary school that I was super early...I rethought my coffee needs and decided to go to a target that has a Starbucks in it.  I was even too early for Target.  I sat in my car for fifteen minutes listening to my favorite morning show.  I was already contemplating how on earth I was going to make it through the day feeling half awake.  When the door opened I sprang from my car, anticipating my steaming hot cup o' Joe.  I was half running to the door.
When I walked in, something did not look right...There was no coffee made and no one behind the counter.  I heard two Target managers discuss how they put 'Susan' at Starbucks because she was a superstar.  Then I saw Susan.  She was dressed not in a Starbucks uniform, but in a Target uniform.  Not a good sign.
She looked alarmed as I approached her, and she looked at her watch.
I asked if they were open and she said 'Yes!  We are! I don't know if I can make what you want, but I can try! What can I get for you?'
This was definitely not a good sign.  Long story short, she thought she could make my coffee, and went to grab the things she needed and she couldn't find anything.  After a couple minutes of scurrying I was finally able to stop her and tell her not to worry, I would just take a cup of hot water. ( I had a tea bag in my purse).  I tried to mask my enormous disappointment at the lack of coffee as she apologized, gave me a coupon for a free drink and told me that whomever could have made my java delight had called out sick.  I thanked her, smiled and told her good luck and sulked back to my car.  I made my tea in the cup holder and cursed the sick guy.  Doesn't he KNOW???  I NEED MY COFFEE.  I thought it couldn't be worse.
I got back on the highway thinking about how I could have stayed in bed an extra 45 minutes when it happened.  Three robin's flew across the highway in front of my car at lightening speed...Well, two were at lightening speed...one was more the speed of sound.  I heard the tell tale thud of road kill. I screamed 'OH MY GOD!!! I KILLED A BIRD!!!!!! OHHH!!! NOOO!!!'.  I couldn't believe it.  No coffee and I killed a bird.  It could not get worse.
I went through my classroom observation hacking all over the kids.  I wasn't sure who had more germs today...me or them.  At 2:30 I walked to my car.  That's when I saw it.
The bird I had hit was still with me.  It had become one with my car.  I started yelling OH MY GOD!!!! It was then as I was causing a scene alone in an elementary school parking lot that I saw a mother and a child walking to their car.  I felt the need to explain that we were all looking at the poor bird I hit that morning.  Here I am driving around town with a bird glued to the hood of my car.  Awesome.  Did I mention yesterday was the first day of spring and it was snowing?  Yeah.  That too.
I made it to my dad's to make some soup and do some homework...and ask him to 'de-bird' me.
I'm pretty sure that if I was superstitious this would be a bad omen. Thank goodness I'm not..superstitious...knock on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment