Monday, December 28, 2009

Decade in Review

As 2009 comes to a close, I've realized (mainly because I am so observant) that it is the end of a decade.  For me, as I think about it-it really is the end of some sort of era.  I've reflected a lot over the past couple of days all that has made up the past decade for me...I'm kinda glad I survived.  I plan on following up some of these gems in more detail this week--they are posts all unto themselves.

But, here is my decaffeinated decade in review (in *mostly* particular order):

1.  New Years Eve 2000:  I quit my job hostessing.  Yup.  I started off the decade responsibly.  All of my friends were going out to see my friend Steph sing at a bar (I was 20).  I showed up to the fancy restaurant where I was to work that night.  They told me I needed to put on something fancier for New Years Eve.  I took this opportunity to go home, call them and tell them I had nothing to wear--GET DRESSED up and go out with my friends!  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2.  I turned 20.  I'm pretty sure I forced my not quite divorced parents into coming up to my college town for my birthday TOGETHER to spend time with me.  I showed my appreciation by getting drunk before they came to make it more tolerable for myself.  20= selfishness.

3.  I fell in love with a boy named Douglas.  I felt like I had hit the jack pot when he fell in love with me back.  Then he had lots of sex with Michael.  No.  I didn't mean to type Michelle.

4.  My roomates and I ran up a $900 dollar phone bill talking to the Psychic Network... a real winning moment for all of us

5.  I chased my friend who I thought maybe I could love...I also tried to *save him* from his deep dark demons.  Good God Alison.  SAVE YOURSELF.

6.  An aquaintence of mine begged to take my virginity on a werewolf blanket on a polluted beach.  I declined...I was holding out for unrequited love--that's much more romantic...chasing men who aren't interested.

7.  I lost 30 lbs.

8.  I gained it back

9.  I wrote and starred in a one woman show..and got paid to do it

10.  I brought embarrassment to a whole new level- loving men who don't love me back...yeah.  It was a pattern.  I tried a new tactic with a guy I really really cared for--who is a dear friend.  I decided to act aloof and sarcastic..and um..really uninterested.  Oddly enough....it drove him away--literally and figuratively.  After he moved half way across the country..THAT is when I decided to open up about my feelings--boy was I shocked that they weren't returned...I continued the torture by writing a 12 page letter sent priority mail.  Eagle Style.  You know...big eagle envelope.  Why didn't anyone stop me???

11.  I found love that I didn't have to chase.

11.5 I lost my virginity....I was a late bloomer.  I was holding out! (your welcome dad)

12.  I graduated college, and moved in with my first seriously serious boyfriend.  It was apartment #13.  I should have known better.

13.  I watched my friends marry and start families.

14.  I got my first big girl job

15. I lost 30 pounds.

16.  I loved Nick and Jessica (yes, I am talking about Newlyweds).  They broke my heart Thanksgiving of 2005.  Never again I said!

17.  I sang in two wedding bands

18.  I lost that love

19.  But, I gained 30 pounds!  (anyone see a pattern here??)

20.  I bought my first car that came with a payment...that wasn't as fun as it sounded in my head.

21.  I moved closer to old friends, and got closer to old friends who helped me out of the deep dark place

22.  I vacationed with my best guy friend.  We slept in the same bed--and NOTHING HAPPENED.  WE TOLD ALL OF YOU IT WASN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.  And it didn't.  I speak for both of us when I say, Thank GOD!

23.  I went to Vegas

24.  I got an apartment ALONE.

25.  I accrued an unfortunate amount of debt...alone...

26.  I lost 40lbs.

27.  I did it again.  I got attached to Jon and Kate.

28.  Jon and Kate did it to me again!!  Damn reality TV families.  Seriously.  Never again.

28.  I found the love of my life

29.  I told him I couldn't date him

30.  I changed my mind...I mean..am I the one who is going to start running now???

31.  I said 'YES'!

After all that 2000-present has offered me, I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I learned a lot, hurt a lot, laughed a lot, ate a lot, dieted a lot...You know, I'm kinda like Oprah..without the money.
Looking forward to the next decade--I'm thinking it's going to be fabulous.  I have a lot to be thankful for--most of which I don't need to chase.  Bring on the 2010's, bring on my 30's.

No comments:

Post a Comment